We are excited to announce our first product dedicated to digital camera scanning: the CS-LITE. The CS-LITE is a compact camera scanning light source, created to provide film photographers with better color accuracy when it comes to scanning their favorite film with a digital camera. The CS-LITE is available now.
Camera scanning is the crossroads where analog and digital photography meet to coexist and create beautiful imagery. It combines the nostalgic and unique qualities of film photography with the convenience of digital photography. This space has continued to evolve over the last few years, providing photographers and creators with newer, better ways to bring to light all the characteristics that make us fall in love with film. The CS-LITE is the latest in that space, and was created by photographers for photographers — because we wanted a light source that was easy-to-use, bright, and affordable.
The new CS-LITE is loaded with a handful of features all packed within a tiny package that can be easily adapted to anyone’s current camera scanning setup. The CS-LITE will feature a CRI of 95+ for high color accuracy and a brightness of EV 15+ to provide a sufficient amount of illumination for even the densest of negatives. What sets the CS-LITE apart from other light sources on the market, is it’s ability to adjust color temperatures to properly suit scanning different types of film, such as Color Negative, Color Positive, and Black-and-White.
The color temperatures are controlled by the three different color modes calibrated into the CS-LITE, which are: a Cool Light mode, White Light mode, and a Warm Light mode.
- The Cool Light mode is intended for scanning color negative film such as CineStill 800T, 400D, and 50D. Cool Light mode is designed to reduce the orange mask that is present in color negative film to provide photographers with more neutral scans. Color-balanced scans can result in better color separation with less noise.
- The White Light mode is ideal for scanning black-and-white film, as well as slide film that has been processed with the CineStill Cs6 DynamicChrome warm-tone developer.
- The Warm Light mode is perfect for scanning slide film, as the tungsten-balanced light can produce richer tones and enhanced color separation, especially within the red channel.
The CS-LITE will have a few optional accessories that can elevate your digital scanning.
- CS-LiteMask: A set of masks for 35mm and 120 film that you can pair with your favorite film carrier to eliminate any of that unwanted spill light. A versatile solution that can be paired with the VALOI film carriers, which fit perfectly into the mask for a compact stabilized solution. The masks also aid in reducing unwanted reflections and maintains uniformity across your entire scan.
- CS-LiteBrite: A light collimating sheet that increases the directional light output and further reduces the spill light and enhances diffusion uniformity. Just one sheet of the CS-LiteBrite placed directly over your light source can increase the brightness by 60%
Pairing the CS-LITE with film holders makes it easier to camera scan negatives fast and efficient, that's why we've partnered up with VALOI to create the perfect camera scanning bundle for beginners. Our CS-LITE Camera Scanning Light Source with VALOI 360 Film Holders comes with two VALOI 360 film holders for 35mm and 120 film, a CS-LiteMask, and a CS-LiteBrite. The holders snap perfectly into place with the CS-LiteMask for a compact stabilized solution.
The CS-LITE is an excellent light source for any photographer that scans their film with a digital camera. It’s easy-to-use controller, variable color modes, and extremely bright light output help to create better quality scans with accurate colors. The CS-LITE is available now, just in time for the holidays and will have an introductory price of $29.95 for the holiday season.